Home improvement projects offer many benefits, from energy savings, improved comfort, increased home value, additional living space and just happier everyday living. After all, why move when you can remodel? Consider these five home improvement ideas to spruce up the home you love this fall.
The kitchen is the heart of the home for many people. So, remodeling your kitchen can pay off in quality of living and with greater energy savings. From modest kitchen upgrades, such as some fresh paint and drawer roll outs, to installing Energy Star-certified appliances and new counters and flooring, you can make your home more inviting and boost your home’s value.
- Look for energy-efficient refrigerators and dishwashers. Remember, your refrigerator is on all of the time. Paying a little more for your new model pays off in better features, beauty and lifetime energy savings.
- Functionality is an important element of any kitchen. Maximize storage and space with customized cabinets and counters suited to your tastes and your home’s personality.
- Updated kitchen sinks add better service, features and style. Don’t forget to install a point-of-use water filtration system for more healthful and better tasting water.
Bathroom Remodeling and Construction
Another home improvement idea that adds to the enjoyment of your home is Remodeling your bathroom, and you can save energy and water with the right upgrades! Installing a new shower, efficient and beautiful LED lighting, a fresh sink and even a skylight or light tunnel saves energy and hundreds of gallons of water each year.
Whether you are updating your master bathroom or constructing an additional half or whole bathroom, work with a professional contractor that can help maximize your space and investment.
Sealing and Insulation
Air sealing and insulation helps keep your home more comfortable and efficient all year long, and they are practical upgrades that you may do yourself. Use these tips:
- Air seal your home before you insulate.
- A lit incense stick can locate air leaks around entry doors and windows. When the smoke wavers, you’ve found an air leak!
- Use caulk and weatherstripping to seal cracks around window frames, doors and the attic hatch. Door sweeps stop drafts under your doors.
- Add insulation up to 20-inches depth for maximum energy savings.
Your windows can add charm to your home’s interior and exterior. Windows are also notorious to adding to your energy bill, too. Consider the following window treatments to spruce up your home, improve comfort and save energy:
- Solar shades are available in many transparencies to keep your views, add more privacy and to block all sunlight.
- Install awnings on sun-struck rooms to substantially reduce heat gain and your energy bills.
- Storm shutters are one of the most energy-efficient window treatments that also protect your home from harsh weather.
Boost your home’s curb appeal and efficiency by upgrading your cladding. Siding of various materials are the way to go when it comes to eye-popping beauty, ease of maintenance, durability and energy efficiency. Moreover, you have your choice of the ever-popular vinyl siding, steel siding, cement board, cedar and many more options, styles and colors.
To learn more about these five home improvement ideas, please contact the experts at Innovative Building & Design today!